8U Evaluations, Placement and Individual Lessons
8U swimmers comprise over a third of our big team. Summer swim team may be the first "team" experience for many young children. We believe that our younger swimmers' experiences should be safe and fun right from the start. Our coaches also want to provide instruction tailored to meet swimmer needs, at the earliest point possible in the season.
All NEW 8Us must undergo an in-water evaluation prior to practicing with the TEAM. Returning 8U swimmers may sign-up for an evaluation if they wish to have their current skill level assessed prior to registering.
Pre-season swim evaluations will be conducted in order to:
- Provide substantive feedback for swimmers and parents as well as determine appropriate practice group placement;
- Increase individualized attention and safety for young swimmers;
- Improve swimmer experience in the water, starting with the first practice.
Coaches will use evaluation information to group swimmers according to skill level and swimmers will be continually evaluated on stroke progress throughout the season.
When is the swim evaluation, how to sign up and what will it involve?
- 8U evaluations will take place in the morning on May 8 and 9 (15 and 22 make up days).
- SIGN UPs are required for the 10 minute evaluation. Sign-ups are located on the "Event & Meet Sign-up Tab" on the website. You must be logged into your account to register. Sign-ups are listed as "jobs," which is the default for this platform and your name will appear. THIS IS OK. Simply click and save the time slots for your child/children.
- If you are new parent to the team, please email team rep, Sally McCarthy for access to Evaluation Sign-up prior to team registration.
Swimmers will be asked to swim at least one full pool length of freestyle. Swimmers may also be asked to attempt other strokes, depending on demonstrated skill.
- A swimmer who is able swim at least 25m of freestyle may be placed on the competition team. Swimmers must finish the lap length fluidly, with legal stroke mechanics, unassisted without stopping.
- A swimmer who is unable to swim 25m as described above unassisted will be placed on the PRE TEAM. ALL swimmers on the PRE TEAM must pass the Pool mandated deep water test prior to registering for the swim team. Please arrange with a life guard to take the test prior to joining pre-team.
The goals for all swimmers placed on the PRE TEAM are to:
- Improve skills;
- Have fun and make new friends;
- Progress to swimming in meets, if desired; and
- Participate in the annual Pre-Team Meet, July dateTBD. PRE TEAM members may participate in specific stroke events at Wednesday evening B Meets, with advance Coach approval.
What if my swimmer is not team ready?
For swimmers who are not pre-team ready, Mohican coaches are available for private lessons during regular pool hours, but not during team practice times. Coach contact information can be found on the bulletin board in the Mohican pool house lobby and on the coaches' page here..